Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Babel 17

A lot of neat new ideas offered in this book. I really enjoyed the idea of language expanding thinking ability pushed to the extreme with a language who's word meanings are so intricate that it allows the speaker to see situations from a heightened awareness. And the reverse of that concept in the character of The Butcher who doesn't use the words I or me. I also was very interested in the idea of reading a person's thoughts through the reading and interpreting of facial muscles, movements, and personal actions. The body modification through cosmetic surgery was very interesting and I like to think that the human race will begin to artificially modify themselves in a conscious effort towards diversification and evolution. After reading this book I feel motivated to learn more languages and enrich my existing vocabulary as well as learning more about common facial expressions and how to read and interpret them.

No comments:

Post a Comment