Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Interview with a Vampire

I read “Interview With a Vampire” about a year ago and though its not extremely fresh in my mind I do remember a few interesting things I liked and noticed about it. I thought it was neat how the book is a cross between a dark horror novel and a romance novel. I also really liked the portrayal of New Orleans as a city full of dark alleys where predators may lurk. The idea of a society of vampires and the extreme love and kinship felt between vampires was a concept I thought of as being realistic, in a vampire world. I would think vampires, being immortal and needing to feed on blood, would want to band together to find acceptance and to combat the loneliness of immortality. The idea of a child vampire and the ensuing dilemma was very interesting. Immortality is something so desired by many humans, but immortality as a child seems to be more of a curse than a blessing. I also liked the contrast between the two male vampires; One vampire feels the pull of morality and tries to live as a non-aggressive predator (like a human) where as his benefactor fully embraces the life of a bloodthirsty selfish killer. I see now that its been pointed out to me the concept of S&M introduced by the two male vampires.

No comments:

Post a Comment